|ISECCo Home||Sponsors||Meeting Notice||Site Map|
This was an independent study class I designed myself, and learned it under the direction of Dr. Patricia Holloway. Integral to this class were two primary features: attending Pat's UAF Greenhouse Management class and running Mars Base Zero, which is a semi-closed ecological life support system. In general this class was built around 6 factors:
I. Care and maintenance of Mars Base Zero including planting, watering, weeding, pest control, data logging, temperature maintenance and all the other factors involved in running a greenhouse at temperatures down to minus 60° F.
· Diary, covering 1/1/00 to 3/9/00
· Planting schedule & growth results
II. Analysis of the soil, plants and atmosphere for nutrients and toxins.
IV. Food supplies and considerations
· Food list of the foods purchased on 1/1/00 for a 4 month stay in Mars Base Zero
1. Table of foods, with starting amounts, ending amounts and calculations of amount eaten.
· Water usage approximations
· Human nutritional considerations in the design of a closed ecosystem for life support
· Foods eaten and dietary analysis for 3/20-4/30 (primarily as a method of demonstrating how the dietary analysis works)
VI. Putting the class notes from Greenhouse Management on the world wide web.